Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Scones
- Prep: 10
- Cook: 15 mins
- Serves: 12
- 350 g butternut pumpkin
- 350 g sweet potato
- 2 1/2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 50 g margarine
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Fill a saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the pumpkin and sweet potato cover reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes until both the sweet potato and pumpkin is tender. Drain well and mash. Cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 225°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Return the husks to the bowl. Rub the margarine into the flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the pumpkin and sweet potato mash and milk. Mix with a flat bladed knife until it all just starts to hold together.
- Form the dough into a rough ball and turn out onto a floured surface. Using a rolling pin roll the dough to about 3cm thick. Using a 5cm pastry cutter cut out 12 scones and place on the baking tray. Brush the scones with a little extra milk and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
Use leftover roast pumpkin and sweet potato for a greater depth of flavour.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||736.2 kJ||755.8 kJ|
|Protein||4.8 g||4.9 g|
|Fat, total||4.4 g||4.5 g|
|— saturated||1.7 g||1.7 g|
|Carbohydrate||26.7 g||27.5 g|
|— sugars||4.4 g||4.5 g|
|Fibre||4.9 g||5 g|
|Sodium||256.8 mg||263.6 mg|
Recipe and image supplied by Cancer Council NSW Healthy Lunch Box website.