Healthy staff morning teas
Healthy eating isn't just for students, it's important for staff members too! Your school's weekly staff morning tea or get-together is the perfect time to celebrate and promote events such as March Munch and The Great Vegie Crunch.
Why not host a healthy staff morning tea where staff are encouraged to put away the party pies and chocolate bickies and bring out healthy, yummy morning tea treats instead?
What to bring:
- Check out the recipes on our website.
- Try a sweet recipe such as Banana Cake, Chocolate Zucchini muffins or Yoghurt cups .
- There are many fantastic recipes available for Fruity Muffins and Loaves (or you can try swapping in your favourite fruits), just remember to hold back on the butter and sugar.
- For savouries, try one of these great recipes: Sweet Potato and Cheese Muffins, Prawn and Avocado Rice Paper rolls, Japanese vegetable pancakes,Mediterranean scrolls or Beef and Veg sausage rolls
- Vegie sticks or home-made sweet potato chips with a Minty Yoghurt dip, Mexican Salsa or hummus.
- Other ideas include homemade bread sushi rolls with tuna, lettuce and grated carrot or Mexibean tortilla melts.
If there's no time for cooking, try these:
- Seasonal fruit platter with honeydew melon, strawberries, apple, pawpaw and pear. Drizzle with lemon juice to delay the fruit going brown.
- Veg platter - cut up carrot, capsicum and cucumber or the no-cut version of snow peas and cherry tomatoes. Serve with store-bought hummus or low-fat cream cheese.
- Fruit chunks skewered into kebabs
- Spread fruit bread with low-fat cream cheese or ricotta mixed with a little honey.
- Fruity Wraps
- Sandwiches cut into triangles with toppings such as avocado, cucumber and spinach leaves or sliced hard-boiled egg, lettuce and tomato.
- Nibbles such as nuts, cheese and popcorn (just try to avoid the varieties high in salt, sugar or fat).
If you're looking for any more tips on making your school a healthy workplace for all staff, simply head to www.healthierworkplacewa.com.au