Zucchini & Corn Fritters
- Prep: 25
- Cook: 20 mins
- Serves: 6
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 small red capsicums, seeded and diced
- 1 x 400 g can reduced-salt corn kernels, drained
- 2 spring onions (including green tops), chopped
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat milk
- olive or canola oil spray
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
- Squeeze zucchini of excess liquid and place in a large bowl with 2/3 of the capsicum and the corn, spring onions, basil and cheese. Season with pepper.
- Sift flour over vegetables then mix to combine.
- Pour milk into a jug, add eggs and whisk together with a fork. Add to vegetables and stir well.
- Heat a large non-stick frypan over medium heat and spray liberally with oil. Drop heaped tablespoons of mixture evenly spread around the pan and spread using the back of a spoon to 8cm diameter. Cook for 2 minutes or firm and golden. Flip and brown on reverse side for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate, keep warm and repeat with remaining mixture.
- To make salsa, combine remaining capsicum with avocado, tomato, basil and lime in a medium-sized bowl.
- Divide salsa between plates and serve with a stack of 3 fritters each.
- - Use 4 cups (600g) of any combination of grated or diced vegetables including sweet potato, carrot, pumpkin, potato, peas, leek, English spinach, drained semi-sundried tomatoes or frozen diced vegetables.
- - Replace basil with herbs of your choice such as coriander, chives, parsley or thyme.
- - Serve fritters with tomato salsa, relish, tzatziki or yoghurt dressing.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1628.6 kJ||543.4 kJ|
|Protein||15.1 g||5 g|
|Fat, total||23.6 g||7.9 g|
|— saturated||6.8 g||2.3 g|
|Carbohydrate||26.3 g||8.8 g|
|— sugars||6.9 g||2 g|
|Fibre||6 g||2 g|
|Sodium||466.2 mg||155.5 mg|
LiveLighter ®© State of Western Australia 2021, reproduced with permission.