"We heard it could improve concentration in the class, work levels, all those sorts of things. We're really quite pleased with the results." - Crunch&Sip Principal
The Crunch&Sip program is an easy way to help kids stay healthy and happy!
Crunch&Sip is a set break during the school day to eat salad vegetables and fruit and drink water in the classroom. Students bring vegetables or fruit to school each day for the Crunch&Sip break. Each child also has a small clear bottle of water in the classroom to drink throughout the day to prevent dehydration.
Giving students the chance to re-fuel with fruit or vegetables helps to improve physical and mental performance and concentration in the classroom, as well as promoting long term health.
Crunch&Sip is a well-established program in Western Australia, with over 40% of eligible schools across the state currently certified.
The objectives of Crunch&Sip are to:
- increase awareness of the importance of eating vegetables and fruit and drinking water
- give students, teachers and staff an opportunity to eat vegetables and fruit during an allocated Crunch&Sip break in the classroom
- encourage students, teachers and staff to drink water throughout the day in the classroom, during break times and at sports, excursions and camps
- encourage parents to provide students with fruit or vegetables every day
- develop strategies to help students who don't have regular access to fruit and vegetables