Healthy Staff Morning Teas
Healthy eating isn't just for students, it's important for staff members too! Your school's weekly staff morning tea or get-together is the perfect time to celebrate and promote events such as Fruit&Veg September. Why not host a healthy staff morning tea where staff are encouraged to put away the party pies and chocolate bikkies and bring out healthy, yummy morning tea treats instead?
Let staff know:
- Download and print the healthy staff morning tea invitation.
- Put up flyers in the staff room.
What to bring:
- Check out the recipes on the LiveLighter website
- Try a sweet recipe such as Banana and Berry pikelets, Apple Puddings, Pear and Date Scrolls or Chocolately Fruit Balls.
- There are many fantastic recipes available for Fruity Muffins and Loaves (or you can try swapping in your favourite fruits), just remember to hold back on the butter and sugar.
- For savouries, try one of these great recipes: Sweet Potato and Cheese Muffins, Easy Vegetable Loaf, Rice Paper Rolls, Pizza Slices, Pizza Scrolls, Vegie Spring Rolls
- Vegie sticks or home-made sweet potato chips with Guacamole, Tzatziki or hummus.
- Other ideas include homemade sushi rolls with avocado, cucumber and grated carrot or Tomato Bruschetta.
If there's no time for cooking, try these:
- Seasonal fruit platter with honeydew melon, strawberries, apple, pawpaw and pear. Drizzle with lemon juice to delay the fruit going brown.
- Veg platter - cut up carrot, capsicum and cucumber or the no-cut version of snow peas and cherry tomatoes. Serve with store bought hummus or low-fat cream cheese.
- Fruit chunks skewered into kebabs
- Spread fruit bread with low-fat cream cheese or ricotta mixed with a little honey.
- Fruity Wraps
- Sandwiches cut into triangles with toppings such as avocado, cucumber and spinach leaves or sliced hard-boiled egg, lettuce and tomato.
- Nibbles such as nuts, cheese and popcorn (just try to avoid the varieties high in salt, sugar or fat).
If you're looking for any more tips on making your school a healthy workplace for all staff, simply head to: www.healthierworkplacewa.com.au