What is Fruit&Veg September?
Western Australian schools celebrate Fruit&Veg September each year with fun and exciting events to encourage students to eat more fruit and vegetables. Fruit 'n' Veg Week in schools has been an annual event since 1990. In an effort to provide greater flexibility to schools, Fruit 'n' Veg Week became Fruit&Veg September in 2011.
Fruit&Veg September aims to promote positive perceptions of fruit and vegetables and provide opportunities for students to explore, prepare and taste fruit and vegetables at school. Schools are encouraged to promote healthy eating through the curriculum, the school canteen and through whole of school activities.
FRUIT&VEG SEPTEMBER 2017
Here's how to get involved
1. The Great Vegie Crunch will be back again in 2017 - we've changed the name to put the focus on vegies and hoping to make it our biggest crunch yet! Registrations open 19th June - click here for more info about previous Great Aussie Crunch events.
2. Download Fruit&Veg September resources.
3. Incorporate Fruit&Veg September activities into the classroom. Healthy Kids NSW have developed a fantastic suite of curriculum activities to celebrate Fruit&Veg Month. Check them out using the links below!
5. Get the whole school involved. Why not try:
- Newsletter inserts. Place recipes and lunch box ideas in the school newsletter for parents
- Fruit and veg dress up or tutti frutti hat day. Students create their own fruit or vegetable costumes or hats to display at a parade or assembly
- Fruit and vegetable tastings. Organise platters of interesting vegetables and fruit for students to taste and describe
- Kids in the Kitchen. Get students involved in cooking simple and healthy fruit and vegetable based recipes
- Planting seeds. Start up a school kitchen garden for students to learn all about growing fruit, vegetables and herbs
- Healthy eating lessons. Check out our new Operation: Vegetables lesson plans!
6. Host a Fruit&Veg September staff morning tea.
7. Other suggestions for featuring fruit and veg at any time during the year: