What is Fruit&Veg September?
Western Australian schools celebrate Fruit&Veg September each year with fun and exciting events to encourage students to eat more fruit and vegetables. Fruit 'n' Veg Week in schools has been an annual event since 1990. In an effort to provide greater flexibility to schools, Fruit 'n' Veg Week became Fruit&Veg September in 2011.
Fruit&Veg September aims to promote positive perceptions of fruit and vegetables and provide opportunities for students to explore, prepare and taste fruit and vegetables at school. Schools are encouraged to promote healthy eating through the curriculum, the school canteen and through whole of school activities.
FRUIT&VEG SEPTEMBER 2018
Here's how to get involved
1. The Great Vegie Crunch will be back again in 2018 - we've changed the name to put the focus on vegies! Find out more here.
2. Download Fruit&Veg September posters and newsletter inserts.
3. Incorporate Fruit&Veg September activities into the classroom. Healthy Kids NSW have developed a suite of curriculum activities to celebrate Fruit&Veg Month. Check them out using the links below:
4. Get the whole school involved. Why not try:
- Healthy eating lessons. Check out our new Operation: Vegetables lesson plans
- Fruit&Veg Sept staff morning tea. Invite staff to create scrumptious fruit and veg creations
- Fruit and vegetable tastings. Serve platters of interesting veg and fruit for students to taste and describe
- Newsletter inserts. Place recipes and lunch box ideas in the school newsletter for parents
- Fruit and veg dress up day. Students create a fruit or veg costumes to display at a parade or assembly
- Kids in the Kitchen. Get students involved in cooking simple and healthy fruit and vegetable based recipes
- Planting seeds. Start a school kitchen garden for students to learn all about growing fruit, vegies and herbs